Sweeney is an experienced appellate and post-conviction advocate for those convicted of serious crimes
In addition to the firm’s substantial work in death penalty litigation, Sweeney has substantial experience representing clients in their state and federal criminal appeals and related post-conviction criminal litigation.
Sweeney’s practice in this area has included challenges to felony convictions of all levels, and especially the most serious felonies such as homicide offenses, sexual offenses, child pornography offenses, fraud offenses, white collar offenses, and bribery/corruption offenses. In federal criminal appeals, appellate representation often involves issues concerning the application of the federal Sentencing Guidelines.
A representative sampling of reported criminal appellate decisions in which Sweeney has been directly involved include, among many others, the following appellate court decisions:
- State v. Bates, 2005-Ohio-3411 (Ohio App. 2005) (conviction reversed)
- State v. Gooden, 2007-Ohio-2371 (Ohio App. 2007) (conviction reversed)
- State v. Williams, 172 Ohio App. 3d 646 (2007) (conviction reversed)
- State v. Kozlosky, 195 Ohio App. 3d 343 (2011) (conviction reversed)
- United States v. Richards, 508 F. App’x 444 (6th Cir. 2012) (sentencing issues)
- United States v. Bakri, 505 F. App’x 462 (6th Cir. 2012)
- State v. Chopak, 2012-Ohio-1537 (Ohio App. 2012) (conviction reversed in part)
- United States v. Mahmud, 541 F. App’x 630 (6th Cir. 2013)
- State v. Marshall, 2015-Ohio-2511 (Ohio App. 2015)
- Gipson v. Sheldon, 659 F. App’x 871 (6th Cir. 2016)
- State v. Franks, 2016-Ohio-5241 (Ohio App. 2016)
- United States v. Thompson, 690 F. App’x 302 (6th Cir. 2017)
- State v. Thomas, 2017-Ohio-8011 (Ohio Supreme Ct. Oct. 4, 2017) (conviction reversed)
The firm has the experience and legal knowledge needed to handle briefing and oral arguments before all Ohio appellate courts, the Ohio Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Contact a committed appellate lawyer in Ohio
For skilled help with a criminal appeal or post-conviction matter, call Law Office of Timothy Farrell Sweeney at 216-241-5003 or contact the firm online to schedule a consultation at the firm’s Cleveland office. The firm serves clients throughout Ohio.