Experienced Ohio Litigator Provides Quality Advice and Representation
Experienced legal advocacy in Cleveland, Ohio for individuals and businesses
If you face a challenging legal dispute, you need a seasoned trial attorney to guide you through litigation or arbitration and protect your rights and interests. For more than two decades, the Law Office of Timothy F. Sweeney, in Cleveland, Ohio has been advocating for clients in trial and appellate courts, in arbitration tribunals, and at the negotiating table.
Timothy F. Sweeney is an experienced trial and appellate advocate. Sweeney is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame and a summa cum laude graduate of the law school at Ohio State University. He was Editor-in-Chief of the Ohio State Law Journal and earned membership in the academic honor society Order of the Coif. After graduation, Sweeney served a judicial clerkship with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and then spent more than eight years in the litigation department of the Cleveland, Ohio office of the international law firm, Squire, Sanders & Dempsey.
Sweeney started his own law practice in 1996. His firm is a litigation practice, providing representation to clients in both civil and criminal matters, at trial and on appeal. The firm has extensive experience in a wide range of litigation matters, in federal and state courts and in arbitration/mediation proceedings. This experience includes contract litigation, employment litigation, property rights litigation, environmental litigation, products liability litigation, trade secrets litigation, criminal litigation, federal habeas corpus litigation, civil rights litigation, First Amendment litigation, intellectual property and licensing litigation, and litigation concerning creditor’s claims in bankruptcy and related proceedings.
Effective legal support for the litigation of business, commercial, criminal, and civil rights matters
Tim Sweeney’s firm represents businesses and individuals in the following practice areas:
- Commercial and business litigation — Sweeney’s firm provides commercial and business litigation services to individuals and companies. During Sweeney’s nearly thirty years of litigation practice, he has been involved in virtually every type of commercial and/or business litigation matter, including breach of contract cases, property rights disputes, environmental litigation, employment disputes, discrimination claims, shareholder disputes, partnership/joint venture disputes, royalty disputes, products liability disputes, business torts, civil RICO claims, and breach of fiduciary duty allegations.
- Appellate litigation — Sweeney’s firm represents clients through all phases of the litigation process, including filing and arguing appeals in both state and federal appellate courts.
- International and domestic arbitration proceedings — Sweeney’s firm has significant experience with international and domestic arbitrations. Where issues concerning the arbitrability of the dispute is involved, the firm is prepared to litigate those threshold issues. Where arbitration is required, the firm is experienced at conducting the arbitration before the appropriate tribunal, and then enforcing any award.
- Death penalty appeals and related capital litigation — Sweeney’s litigation practice includes extensive experience in death penalty litigation, representing more than fifteen death-sentenced Ohio prisoners in challenging their convictions and/or death sentences before state and federal courts and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Criminal appeals and related post-conviction criminal litigation — Sweeney has extensive experience representing clients in their state and federal criminal appeals and related post-conviction criminal litigation, primarily in matters involving the most serious felony convictions.
- Civil rights litigation — Sweeney has broad and extensive experience representing clients whose civil and constitutional rights have been violated, whether in employment matters or in the criminal justice setting.
- First Amendment litigation — Sweeney’s civil rights practice includes First Amendment litigation to protect a client’s rights when First Amendment freedoms are threatened or infringed.
In any of these practice areas, you can count on the Sweeney firm to deliver comprehensive counsel and high-quality service at each stage of your case. To learn more about the Sweeney firm’s experience in each of these practice areas, please click on the appropriate link to go to that page.
Discuss your legal needs with an experienced Cleveland trial and appellate attorney.
The Law Office of Timothy F. Sweeney, in Cleveland, Ohio is dedicated to representing the interests of businesses and individuals. To schedule an appointment, please call 216-241-5003 or contact the firm online.